CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

I HATE ATA!

This is where my happy Hawaiian Vacation Pictures are suppose to be!

BACKGROUND

My parents own a time share in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. The resort is called Ko Olina. It is a little piece of heaven on Earth. Every year my parents get to go and they switch off inviting one of their three kids and their families each year. This year, to celebrate their upcoming 40th wedding anniversary the whole family was going to be there at the same time. Very fun and a rare occasion.

About 4 weeks ago my mom was telling me about Aloha Airlines going under and I was so grateful that it was not our airline. I remember thinking what a bummer it would be to explain to my kids after buying the sunscreen, goggles, swimsuits and towels that we would not make it there. Especially after purchasing our plane tickets in August!

2 weeks ago ATA went under. I guess it could have been worse if we were stuck in Hawaii trying to get home but I kinda liked that idea. Everyone in my family scrambled trying to find reasonable tickets. The best we could find was about 2 1/2 times what we paid initially and that didn't include our refunded money from ATA that we have yet to see. My brother (in Houston), sister and I decided that we should just plan on celebrating in Hawaii next year. My parents could not get a credit on their rooms over in Hawaii so they booked their tickets as cheap as they could find.

We tried to think of other last minute vacations to Disneyland (to expensive for the quantity of time), last minute cheap Mexican Cruise (no passports and we didn't book quick enough) and maybe Lake Havasu but things looked pretty bleak. We kept checking for last minute deals to Hawaii all to no avail. A couple of days before my parents were to leave they asked me to drive them to the airport. This would be the 2nd year in a row that I would drive and adios members of my family to Hawaii.

Then to add insult to injury, Barbie calls me last night around 9:00pm to tell me she found cheap tickets to Hawaii on Priceline. She asked me if I wanted to get some for my family. Troy said he was out because he needed more time to prep people at work, but he gave me the go ahead with the 3 kids. I deliberated for about a half an hour on whether I could handle Gavin (5), Colby (3) and Mazzy (6 months) on the airplane and then for a week over in Hawaii by myself and decided I was not up to the challenge. That is itself is a depressing realization. I am not a capable mother. LAME! I called Barbie up and told her I couldn't do it. She called me a little later to let me know that she booked the tickets and would be flying out at 9:00 in the morning. They were actually going to beat my parents there!

I am trying so hard to be happy for those who are going but I am pissed off at the whole ordeal. I've decided to focus my energy on how angry I am at ATA! The worst part is that there is no address to send a HATE letter to! They will never know, be offended or care! They don't exist! I don't care I HATE ATA!

9 comments:

Karen S said...

That is the worst thing I've ever heard. My sister just got back and said it rained nearly the entire time, maybe that makes you feel better? Probably not.

April said...

You are a good writer! I can just picture you saying all of this. Well look at the bright side,you will get to see me and the kids saturday hopefully! ha ha. We will be in town for the bday party at super franks?! It starts at 4:00 so let me know if you can get together after or before! And that sucks with the plane tickets, I wish I was in Hawaii right now too

Mandi said...

Oh doesn't that boil your blood! When I heard they went out of business I thought to myself...there are some serioulsy ticked people out there!! I'm so sorry! You said it best... "LAME"

Elena said...

That's awful. It would not make you feel better to know that a bunch of us never even get to go to Hawaii, so I won't even say it. ;o)
I hope you guys get to go on vacation soon. Don't feel like an incapable Mom of 3, you do it EVERYDAY without anyone's help! I think you made a good call -- I would be more upset if I was supposed to be on vacation, but instead doing way more work than I'd be doing just at home without spending GOBS of $$$. :o(

AnnieB said...

I am so sorry! That is the worst! Did you actually drive them because that's just plain cruel. I'll join you...I HATE ATA!
Let's try to focus on the rain...
Doi you need a playdate this week?

Kristin said...

I'm with Annie--I'm totally hating ATA for you right now. It's just so awful!
Glad I found your blog. See you at preschool this week.

Kristin

THE MACDONALDS said...

I have to thank each of you for your support. Troy was making me feel like a spoiled brat for writing this one. I was channeling rain and checked today but of course the high for the week is 86 and the low is 70. Oh well this too will pass.

Leisa Waldron said...

Loralee, you are so funny, but I hate that this happened to you. This is what is supposed to happen to the lady at the supermarket who takes your parking spot and has no kids when you have to take yours into the store. Or the working woman who tells you your hands are full. STUPID ATA!

Rach said...

That is SOOOOO Brutal! I'm sorry. Just remember that payback will be sweet. You will have older more manageable children soon enough. And others will be home with all their toddlers. (Sorry Barbie, Rebbecas in the same boat as you!)
I know it's not total consolation but it's better than nothing!