CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fire Dreams


I know it is normal for kids to have nightmares. Gavin seems to have special theme nightmares for a couple of weeks at a time. 2 weeks ago his pre-school class visited the Dublin Fire Station. He came home with all kinds of information floating his head. For example: If there is a fire in your home/apartment, don't hide under the bed, put a blanket in the crack in the door to keep smoke out, have an escape ladder handy, know where a fire extinguisher is, practice emergency exits, have an exit plan for the family, and scream and yell if you smell smoke. These rules have become daily role play events with Colby and I personally get tested on the rules on a daily basis. His latest question besides, "When is the Earth going to be baptized by fire? is, "Why haven't we had an emergency plan meeting before?". Last night at 3 am I hear Gavin crying in his room, "Mommy, please put the fires out!". "I don't want to die." I went in there and had a rather difficult time calming him down/waking him up. When I finally convinced him he was having a dream he still said, "O.k., thankyou for putting the fire out, Mom." It is nice to be a hero. Even if it is only in Gavin's dreams.

3 comments:

Karen S said...

Wow! Morgan didn't get nearly that much out of the field trip. Perceptive kid that Gavin.

Leisa Waldron said...

Oh, so sad! I hate nightmares...especially when kids have them. You are a hero to me too Loralee!

AnnieB said...

What a great memory and active imagination! I can't decide if that's a good or bad combination!!